Dubbed as one of South Africa’s favourite winter dishes, Tomato Bredie is hearty, delicious and just what you need to warm up during the cold weather!
Tamatie bredie is one of those traditional dishes that have stood the test of time. You’ll find it in every traditional food cookbook. It makes a perfect sishebo for dunking ujeqe (steam bread) or enjoying it with rice or pap. Would you try it if we shared a sishebolicious with an additional Perfect 3 twist with you?
Sishebolicious Tamatie Bredie:
Serves: 6 – 8
You will need:
• 1 Tbsp (15ml) oil, for frying
• 2 onions, chopped
• 2 tsp (10ml), medium curry powder
• 1kg bee or lamb knuckles
• 1 litre boiling water
• 1 Knorrox chilli beef stock cube
• 2 cloves of garlic, minced
• 2 cans tomatoes, peeled and chopped
• 1 packet, Knorr minestrone soup
1. Heat oil in a large pot and cook onions until soft. Add curry powder and cook for a further minute.
2. Add meat, dissolve the stock cube in water and add it to the pot. Close the lid and simmer until meat is soft. Add more water if necessary.
3. Add garlic, tomatoes and dissolve the soup in cold water to add to the cooked meat.
4. Stir and let simmer for about 15 minutes.