Beef Sishebos with a Twist
When it comes to preparing your favourite beef sishebo recipes, tried and tested recipes are usually the ones that win over the taste buds of your loved ones. However, there is bound to come a time where every home-based chef hopes to add a delicious and satisfying twist to recipes that are old favourites.
If you are looking for quick and easy recipes, it is important to look for ideas that are simple to implement – it is no help trying to look for tasty and satisfying twists if you can’t implement them properly. It is also not a good idea to look for twists that your family will not enjoy – adding a unique ingredient to the dish should enhance the flavours of the meal and not detract from it. If you’re looking for a beef sishebo with a delicious twist, take a look at the following recipe:
- 1 kg of beef shoulder meat, cubed into 1 cm cubes
- Flour, in which to toss the beef
- 250 ml of dark ale (keep in mind that the alcohol will evaporate)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 punnet of button mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 cups (500 ml) of sliced carrots
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. (45 ml) of tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) of paprika
- 5 cups (1, 25 l ) of beer stock
- 4 large potatoes, cubed
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) of butter
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) of olive oil
What You Need to Do:
- Add the olive oil and butter to a heavy pot, melt and stir until well combined.
- Toss the beef cubes in the flour and add them to the pot. Cook until well browned.
- Add the chopped onion and sliced mushroom, and add ½ a cup of beef stock. Cook until the mushrooms and onions are soft.
- Add the garlic to the pot and stir for two minutes, and add the remainder of the beef stock.
- Pour in the Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, ale, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the mixture for two hours, and add the potatoes and carrots to the sishebo, and cook for another 45 minutes or until the carrots are cooked through.
- Prepare a roux by adding equal parts butter and flour – two tablespoons of each – and whisk until thoroughly mixed together. Add a small amount of beef stock to the mix and continue whisking until you get a smooth liquid. Add this to the sishebo for thickness.
- If you wish to add anything extra to the recipe – kidney beans or peas – be sure to add them at this point of the preparation and let it cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove the sishebo from the heat and serve it with hot, fresh bread with thick lashings of butter.
Not only is your family sure to tuck into this delicious meal, but it is guaranteed to become a fast family favourite! For more tips and tricks on how to prepare delicious meals for your loved ones, click here.